Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Rosie Heindel: A Story


Dark Clouds

The secretary led Tabitha into Tim’s large office. He sat behind his desk with his legs propped up and his hands behind his head. When he saw Tabitha he quickly sprung to his feet and leaned his fat belly over the desk as he enthusiastically reached for her hand. She smiled seriously and shook it.

“Hello, My name is Tabitha, and—”

“Hi, Tabitha! I’m Tim Darrow, president and founder of Darrow Technologies, Inc., as you know.

How are you today?”

“Fine. I’m here because—”

“It’s a beautiful day today, isn’t it?”

She looked out the large picture window behind Tim at the ominous dark clouds. Tabitha brushed some imaginary wrinkles off her long cotton dress. “If you don’t mind rain and like the cold.”

Yellow teeth appeared behind a wide smile. “Well, the sun is shining when a beautiful girl like you walks in.” He licked his lips.

An awkward silence ensued, then Tim continued, “Besides, this is nothing compared to those monsoons you get over there in India.”

“Oh, I’ve only been there once.”

“Please take a seat,” he said gesturing to a chair across from his desk. He sat down heavily in his leather conference chair but never took his eyes off of her. “So, what part of India are you from?”
“I was born just outside of San Francisco.”

“I’ve been all over India. Mostly in Calcutta, but I’ve been to a few other big cities.” He scanned her small body and noted her conservative dress. “You look like you’re from the rural areas.”
She stared at him with disgust, but couldn’t find a polite way to leave the room.

“You Indian girls are quiet, but I know there’s a hidden tigress inside every one of you,” he said, winking.

He leaned forward, resting his heavy body on his elbows, which pressed into the desk. “You know,” he raised his eyebrows, “I’ve done some intensive studying of Hinduism.”

“I’m a Christian.”

“I did business over there last year and stayed for three weeks. I took a tour of the Dakshineswar kali temple. Have you ever been there?”

“No.”

“It’s breathtaking.” He grabbed a picture off his desk and handed it to Tabitha. “That’s Ipsita,” he said pointing to a young Indian woman. She stood outside the ornate temple, smiling awkwardly with Tim. He had both arms wrapped around her delicate waist and looked at her. She stood stiff and square to the camera. “She doesn’t talk much, but she’d do anything for me,” he said studying the picture. “She put on the traditional garb just for me that day. Normally, she wears sexy little American mini-skirts, but I wanted a more authentic picture of India to take home with me.”

Tabitha didn’t know how much longer she could hold her anger back. She reached into her purse and pulled out a pamphlet, slamming on the desk in front of him. “I’m here on behalf of International Justice Missions.” Tim drew in his breath to speak, but Tabitha curtly cut him off. “I am raising money to rescue young women out of the sex trafficking industry. If you’d like to make a tax deductable donation, please turn to the back of the pamphlet, fill out the information, enclose a check, and mail it to the indicated address. Thank you.” She hastily got up and turned for the door.

“Whoa! Wait a minute, Sweetheart!” he said rising. “Can I write the check now and just give it to you?”

Suppressed rage churned in her belly like a trapped dragon. She clenched her teeth together.

“Sure.”

“I think it’s terrible what these girls have to go through. I try to help when I can.”

“How kind of you.”

“Yeah, people like to put them down, but they’re just doing what they have to do to survive.” Some memory flashed across his face and he smiled proudly. “They look at me like I’m a god!”

Tabitha glared at him.

“So, how much does it cost to rescue a girl?”

“Nine hundred dollars.”

Tim whistled.

“Well, I’ll make the check for eighteen hundred, then.” He reached into his drawer and pulled out a check book. “Who do I make it out to?”

“IJM.”

He handed her the check.

“Thank you.” She moved for the door. Tim quickly ran past her and opened it for her, smiling. He took her hand in his, “You’re doing a wonderful thing.” She forced a smile. “God bless you,” he said. She nodded, then started to walk away.

“One more thing, honey!” Tim shouted after her. “Will you let me take you out to dinner sometime?”

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I write short stories and essays. I have published well over one hundred stories, essays, and flash fictions or nonfictions in magazines or anthologies, as well as a novel, Jack's Universe, three collections of stories, Private Acts, Killers & Others, and Not a Jot or a Tittle, and two chapbooks of flash fiction, Shutterbug and Dragon Box. I grew up in a military family, so I'm not from anywhere in particular except probably Akron, where I've lived for forty years. Before I came here, I never lived anywhere longer than three years.