Saturday, September 27, 2008

Beware.........Political Commentary


While I generally do not like to read a lot of political commentary, I do have political responses, though I hope I keep them as non-political as possible. I once wrote a poem which said:

Opinion
Is an Onion
With a pin in it.

Not much of a poem, maybe, but how would you like to bite into something like that, unless you've got a cast-iron stomach?

That's what my father used to say: cast-iron stomach. He did not have one. He drank too much coffee, smoked his pipe too much, liked things like chili too much, and popped Tums from the little rolls like candy. He would say, You'd have to have a cast iron stomach to eat that... Once, he took the family to a Mexican Restaurant called El Gato, and when he saw a dish on the menu called Son of a Bitch Stew, he laughed and ordered that because he didn't shy away from being a son of a bitch.

I turn on news and hear political commentary coming out the ass--literally. All these braying asses they have on news shows now to make sure the nuts in the audience have something to scream about and someone to show them how to scream. So much for objectivity. Newscasters pass judgement on news they report, and in case you weren't worked up enough, we've got someone here to get you stirred up.

Lisa told me she heard a woman say, about her boyfriend I think it was, 'He talkin' out the side of he ass.' I think that's a variation on 'He's just talking through his hat' and 'He's talking out the side of his mouth', but better than either one, and a nice visual image as well. That's what all these commentators are talking out, the side of they ass.

I don't know, I just never liked to hear people spouting opinions. I'd rather hear a story or even a joke. Opinions can be so violent.

But here's my opinion: I hope to God that America will elect a thoughtful, intelligent, vital, humorous man like Obama.

Last night I watched the debate, and I think that for many people, McCain won the first one, because he was so strong, so brutal. I may have a phrase for it. Maybe some of you will understand this, if you go back far enough.

John McCain is the American Nikita Krushchev.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I write short stories and essays. I have published well over one hundred stories, essays, and flash fictions or nonfictions in magazines or anthologies, as well as a novel, Jack's Universe, three collections of stories, Private Acts, Killers & Others, and Not a Jot or a Tittle, and two chapbooks of flash fiction, Shutterbug and Dragon Box. I grew up in a military family, so I'm not from anywhere in particular except probably Akron, where I've lived for forty years. Before I came here, I never lived anywhere longer than three years.